The gravity zone is available in a standard length, extended length, and independent zone designed for normal, poorly draining or dilute sludges.
The Roto-Kone® high rate drainage technology developed for enhancing the performance (higher production rates at higher thickened sludge solids) of our gravity belt thickener also has its application in the gravity section of our belt press by creating more residence time in the gravity zone thereby providing for greater drainage capabilities and higher solids concentrations at discharge. Other belt presses having standard plow systems cannot achieve equal production capabilities.
The independent gravity zone has the same capability as a stand-alone gravity belt thickener and, therefore, has application on a dilute sludge where the suspended solids are less than 1.5%. Furthermore, the complete Kompress may be designed as a combination thickening unit/dewatering unit. In the thickening mode, a doctor blade is engaged at the discharge roll to remove thickened solids from the gravity belt. In the dewatering mode, the doctor blade is retracted to allow the thickened sludge to enter the wedge zone.
The adjustable wedge provides a gradually applied increasing pressure as the solids approach the first dewatering drum. Pressure is applied by the upper tensioned belt by moving the wedge zones entrance roller. This reduces or eliminates solids migration beyond the belt edges which can occur on conventional press designs.
The pressure zone begins with a larger 30-inch diameter self-bailing, perforated dewatering drum designed to remove a high volume of filtrate and prevent "upset" conditions.
Because of its large diameter, large belt wrap, and perforated, self-bailing design, the initial drum extracts more water from the sludge at the inlet to the pressure/shear zone than does the conventional press and because of its internal baffle design prevents the rewetting of cake on the bottom half of the roll.
The use of this larger first drum and a succession of decreasing diameter drums gradually increases the pressure profile to a maximum dewatering force. A pressure drum profile up to a maximum of 14 drums provides an extra long pressure/shear zone with more belt area in contact with the dewatering drums and thus provides more time under pressure for more thorough dewatering than other presses of its type.
Finally, the extra long pressure/shear section provides more belt area in contact with dewatering drums and thus provides more time under pressure for more thorough dewatering than other presses of its type.
Automated Belt Filter Press
Komline-Sanderson can automate the operation of the Kompress Belt Filter Press by supplying the following options:
Available automation includes:
- High quality structural frame materials and components for trouble-free, long lasting operation.
- K-S custom designed and built instrumentation/controls for guaranteed system integrity
- Outstanding operating features and technology advances for higher throughput capacity, lower operating cost, and easier maintenance
- Highly efficient gravity zone with Roto-Kone® elements and Roto-Trak® plows that work sludge to promote rapid drainage
- Feed section features flocculation tank and feedbox to uniformly apply sludge across entire width of belt while eliminating uneven distribution
- Rack and pinion tension controls links both ends of take-up roll to assure parallel belt movement and prevent uneven belt tension
- Self-bailing perforated first dewatering drum eliminates rewetting of the cake through removal of water from inside the drum
- Gravity and wedge zone belt support bars are made of abrasion-resistant polyethylene and enhance dewatering by breaking surface tension of liquid
- Heavy-duty 10x frame is 3/8" carbon steel hot dipped galvanized after welding. 304 and 316 stainless steel frames are available
- Patented lifting mechanism in the high rate drainage system facilitates raising and lowering of plows and elements into or out of service
- Built in safety rope surrounds the entire system for emergency shutdown. Additional automatic shutdown controls stop the system for low pneumatic/hydraulic pressure, gross belt misalignment or broken belt, drive failure or low belt wash pressure
- Continuous belt washing is provided by fully enclosed wash stations with high pressure SS spray nozzles, internal cleaning brushes, special seals to eliminate noise and overspray, and access panels for convenient maintenance
- Variable wedge compression zone can be easily adjusted during operation to set a dewatering gap that maximizes material process rate and performance
- Replaceable polypropylene discharge blades extend over entire belt width and are counterweighted. Dry cake discharge is standard with optional discharge for thickened, pumpable sludge
- Heavy duty split pillow block spherical roller bearings are all one size. A highly effective sealing arrangement protects bearings from external contaminants and water
- A choice of 2 or 3 belt dewatering systems with standard, extended, or independent gravity zones for consistently high cake solids in varying sludge conditions
- 2-belt system with standard gravity zone (GRS)
- 2-belt system with extended gravity zone (GRSL)
- 3-belt system with independent gravity zone (G-GRSL)